Algae Technician - USA
Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Island Creek Oysters is looking for an algae technician to take on the challenge of developing the hatchery’s algae production to its fullest potential. ICSF is looking for a hardworking, experienced, and reliable individual to join the team. This position is full-time at the Duxbury, Massachusetts shellfish hatchery through the end of August 2021, when further employment will be evaluated.
- Manage the hatchery’s marine microalgae culture which includes 10-12 species.
- Work closely with the hatchery manager to create proper algae schedules for feeding broodstock, larvae and post-set seed for the following shellfish species: oysters, hard clams, surf clams and bay scallops.
- Understand and manage current semi-continuous culture at all stages: flask, carboy, kalwall and greenhouse.
- Problem-solve with technical competence to either improve, fix or create new systems and protocols.
- Experiment with and/or introduce different algae culture techniques.
- Maintain hatchery’s high level of cleanliness and sterile processes.
- Manage detailed algae data collection throughout the season.
- At least one year of algae culture experience.
- Flexible schedule, ability to work long days and weekend shifts.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly throughout the workday.
- High attention to detail and organization.
- Good communication with managers and coworkers.
- Efficient time management and ability to multitask.
- Ability to collaborate in a small team environment.
- Eager to exceed personal and company goals.
- Ability to adapt to change and do whatever it takes to accomplish the job.
- Have an upbeat personality and a positive attitude.
- Become a good representative of Island Creek.
For more information and application, visit www.islandcreekoysters.com. Apply by October 10, 2020.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
We are social. Connect with us on:
Sign Up For Our Publications
Select a newsletter/magazine and submit your e-mail to subscribe.