Laboratory Manager - Florida
by Aquafeed.com Staff
Zeigler Bros. Inc. is currently seeking a dynamic Laboratory Manager to operate the Zeigler Aquaculture Research Center (ZARC) on the campus of Florida Atlantic University’s Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute in Fort Pierce, FL. The laboratory is designed for conducting research on nutrition and feeds for marine shrimp in larval nursery and growout phases in highly replicated systems.
Reporting directly to the on- site Research and Development Technical Manager., the incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to manage product testing and feed trials conducted at the Zeigler Aquaculture Research Laboratory according to research plans, protocols, and standard operating procedures established by the R&D Technical Manager.
Responsibilities are as follows but not limited to:
- Assist R&D Technical Manager with strategic and logistical planning, streamlining of operations and reporting of feed trials
- Assist in development and maintenance of feed study feeding and data capture spreadsheets and for maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date spreadsheet records of feed trial data
- Supervise conduct of all aspects of feed trials for testing larval rearing, nursery, and growout diets, including stocking, feeding, data collection, and management of research culture systems.
- Provide guidance, leadership, training and oversight of lab technicians who assist with feed trial operations to ensure proficiency in all laboratory and feed study protocols.
- Collection and analysis of feed study data on feed consumption, growth, survival and water quality.
- Assist R&D Technical Manager with statistical analysis of feed trial data.
- Implementation of biosecurity protocols for ZARC, including monitoring and management of bacterial pathogens in feed trial systems.
- Manage procurement and logistics of shrimp nauplii and postlarvae for research trials.
- Management and maintenance of holding systems to assure availability of adequate numbers of correct sized animals for planned feeding trials.
- Manage inventories and procurement of laboratory supplies
- Maintain database of experimental ingredients, feeds and samples in coordination with Zeigler R&D operations in East Berlin PA.
Training, Skills, Knowledge and/or Experience:
- Prefer hands-on experience working with shrimp larval rearing, nursery, and growout systems.
- Prefer experience operating recirculating aquaculture systems
- Experience in production data analysis and interpretation
- Effective organizational, problem solving, and communication and supervisory skills
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, or alternative presentation software.
Educational Requirements: Master’s or PhD degree in a related discipline or a Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and a minimum of five years of shrimp hatchery or shrimp growout experience.
To apply, please send your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com. Successful applicants will be asked to provide proof that they are legally eligible to work in the United States.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
Brought to you by the industry's knowledge communicator, Aquafeed.com, our conferences will arm delegates with the latest processing information to meet head on the challenges facing this sector.