Senior Research Technician (Bacteriologist) - UK
Thursday, October 22, 2020
Pontus Research is looking for a senior research technician with specific responsibilities in the area of bacteriology to build capacity and capability before opening a fish and shrimp health unit in 2021.
- Develop robust methodologies and protocols for the purchase, storage, revival and amplification of bacterial isolates, working towards functioning systems in 2021.
- Ensure biosecurity protocols are created up and brought into use alongside the above developments.
- Ensure the laboratory is suitably equipped to allow all activities to be undertaken safely and effectively.
- Build strong and productive relationships with different teams and colleagues across the Pontus operation, in particular our Regulatory Compliance Officer who works directly on the business unit related to animal health.
- Work with existing Pontus staff to ensure that all SOPs and related documentation on the operation are developed, maintained and adhered to.
- Day to day husbandry of aquatic animals within the facility.
- Monitor and maintain optimal water quality parameters.
- Identify and solve promptly any issues related to animal husbandry and welfare.
- Assist with data collection, weighing, sample collection, preparation and storage.
- Be an active member of the on-call team, reacting to out of hours alarm calls when on call.
- Support the Research Coordinator(s) in ensuring the smooth running of trials.
- Problem-solve to ensure a smooth and efficient operation.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate by line management.
An ambitious and capable early career researcher or experienced technician, able to work effectively alone or in a small team, not afraid to get their hands dirty (followed by strict biosecurity control of course).
- Previous experience in bacteriology/microbiology – reviving, maintaining and amplifying maintaining bacterial cultures, post-mortem plating to confirm infection rates.
- An awareness of biosecurity and biosafety protocols for microbiology and bacteriology.
- Experience with aseptic techniques.
- Ability to acquire any additional knowledge and skills required to fulfill the job quickly and completely (full training will be provided).
- A competent multi-tasker with a track record of achievement.
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to develop well-constructed protocols that meet company and client objectives.
- An ability to effectively interact with colleagues throughout the organization at all levels of seniority.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- A willingness to work flexibly, including weekends, to meet the demands of the job.
- Ability to work well as part of a small team and independently when required.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in MS Office.
- Driving license and own car.
- Existing right to live and work in the UK.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
We are social. Connect with us on:
Sign Up For Our Publications
Select a newsletter/magazine and submit your e-mail to subscribe.