GLOBALG.A.P. Launches Sustainability Module for Feed Mills
The Responsible Operations Standard, a new add-on for GLOBALG.A.P.\'s Compound Feed Manufacturing Standard, puts feed mills at the forefront of sustainability
GLOBALG.A.P. has launched the Responsible Operations Standard (ROS) Add-on for Compound Feed Manufacturing V1, which aims to improve the sustainability practices of feed mills wishing to produce sustainable compound feed for aquaculture and livestock.
This is achieved by:
• Reducing energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
• Reducing water use
• Strategies to avoid waste and effluents
• Responsible sourcing of agricultural and marine feed materials
• Product declarations on feed efficiency, environmental impacts, and GMO content
• Mass balances for specific claims on sustainability attributes of feed materials
• Promoting social engagement with the local community
The module was developed to meet industry demand, and has strong commitment and support from the Norwegian aquaculture compound feed industry. It comprises seven sections, with 57 Control Points and Compliance Criteria.
The Add-on is available as a third party certification. Feed mills with a current GLOBALG.A.P. Compound Feed Manufacturing (CFM) Certificate or any GLOBALG.A.P. equivalent certificate for compound feed may apply for the assessment.
The mill will receive an annual inspection from a GLOBALG.A.P. registered certification body, who will issue a Letter of Conformance after a successful inspection.
The ROS Add-on for Compound Feed Manufacturing V1 document can be downloaded here.