The SDG Accelerator is a United Nations Development Program (UNDP) program aiming to accelerate business solutions with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The program is funded by the Danish Industry Foundation and is being tested in Denmark in 2018 and 2019 with 30 Danish small and medium-sized industrial companies. Afterwards it will be rolled out across the Nordics and globally.
The participating companies will receive guidance and a comprehensive method to develop new products, services or business models that address the challenges embedded in the SDGs. In addition, companies will be assisted in engaging their employees in their work with the SDGs through internal campaigns and activities. The SDG Accelerator has three overall change objectives:
- Promote sustainable innovation in Danish small and medium-sized enterprises and develop at least one SDG solution that could be a product, service or business model.
- Use sustainable innovation as a basis to create a broader understanding of how companies can be social and environmentally sustainable, both locally and globally.
- Create a model that can inspire companies outside the program to get started with integrating the SDGs in their business.
Aller Aqua was one of the 2018 participants. The company has been working to develop an educational app to help Nigerian fish farmers to improve their breeding efficiency to increase sustainability, food security and growth.
As part of the program, the participating companies can expect to:
- Develop new products, services and business models.
- Facilitate employee engagement.
- Communication and inspiration for other companies.