Advertisement

Newsroom

Venezuelan shrimp farmers receive support for feed imports

Venezuela\'s president, Nicolas Maduro, this week signed an agreement with the Association of Shrimp Producers of the West (ASOPROCO), which will allow for 50,000 tons of shrimp feed per year to be imported into the country.

April 27, 2016

The agreement, signed by President Nicolas Maduro and ASOPROCO on behalf of companies, not only involves fostering an alternative source of foreign exchange but also a commitment to supply the internal market.

Venezuela\'s president, Nicolas Maduro, this week signed an agreement with the Association of Shrimp Producers of the West (ASOPROCO), which will allow for 50,000 tons of shrimp feed per year to be imported into the country.

Under the agreement the association will contribute earnings from exports for the importation of 4,500 tons of shrimp feed, valued at US$5.4 million per month, up to 50,000 tons for the remainder of 2016, to reach a total estimated value US$60 million.

People\'s Minister for Fisheries and Aquaculture, Angel Belisario, explained that this agreement involves 32 companies, located in Zulia, Falcon, Trujillo and Merida; which have a combined production of domr 25,000 tons shrimp per year, accounting for 85% of domestic shrimp production.

These companies will allocate 10% of their production (approximately 2,500 tons per year), to augment the national supply of shrimp catch, which amounts to about 5,000 tons per year. It is expected that 85% of exported shrimp will go to Asian markets (China - Vietnam), and the remaining 15% to the European Union.

Advertisement

Latest Magazine

Event news