Second recommendation for the sustainable development of EU aquaculture
The Aquaculture Advisory Group sent a second recommendation to the European Commission on the future strategic guidelines for the sustainable development of EU aquaculture.
The European Commission has been reporting since 2009 that the EU aquaculture is stagnating and the outlined strategic guidelines are not matching the industry’s expectations. In 2020, the European Commission will draft new guidelines for the sustainable development of EU aquaculture.
The Aquaculture Advisory Council (AAC) is sending its second set of recommendations that includes comments on the latest revised outline of the strategic guidelines. The recommended actions are:
- Securing sustainable growth in aquaculture through optimizing licensing procedures.
- Enhancing the competitiveness of EU aquaculture.
- Establishing a level playing field.
- Improving the social acceptability of aquaculture and its products.
- Improving the integration of aquaculture into the environment.
- Specificities of shellfish farming.
Read the full recommendations report here.